Los Angeles-based indie rock band is becoming known for its unique pairing of music and activism. Having pioneered and performed in 2016 at the first annual Sunstock Solar Festival, a 100% solar-powered music and art festival that raised $10,000 for Kids Cancer Connection, the band recently shared a thought-provoking video that documents their experience in North Dakota working along with water protectors in the middle of the Dakota Access Pipeline protests.
"Last fall I helped organize a donation drive and trip up to North Dakota from LA to support the water protectors in the Oceti Sakowin camp, at the center of the Dakota Access Pipeline protests," band member Skylar Funk explained. "We spent a week there working in construction, in the kitchens, chopping wood and shoveling snow, and felt incredibly welcomed and honored for the chance to participate in something so powerful and historic.
"One thing they asked of us in orientation was to 'Bring It Home' - to share what we learned at camp and to make sure folks back in the communities we'd return to were aware that the struggle to protect that land and water continues. Of course with the recent executive order, the challenge is even more urgent... So we created a video about the people we met at camp...to share what we saw and hopefully inspire more action."
Growing from a duo to a five-piece, Trapdoor Social has big plans for 2017. They continue to take over the radio waves and are currently touring the country (with their solar-powered trailer), putting on clean energy shows in some of America's biggest cities.
Check out "Never Stop Listening" and tour dates below.
- Feb 23, Philadelphia, PA, Rockwood Music Hall
- Feb 24, New York, NY, Rockwood Music Hall
- March 1, New Haven, CT, Stella Blues
- March 7, Charleston, SC, The Royal American
- March 8, Awendaw, SC, Barn Jam
- March 11, St. Augustine, FL, Genungs Fish Camp
- March 14, Austin, TX, SXSW
- March 15, Austin, TX, SXSW
- March 16, Austin, TX, SXSW
- March 17, Austin, TX, SXSW
- March 18, Austin, TX, SXSW
- March 19, Huston, TX, Super Happy Funland
- March 20, Dallas, TX, The Door
- March 22, Wichita, KS, Mead's Corner
- March 23, Omaha, NE, Down Under Lounge
- March 24, Iowa City, IA, Yacht Club
- March 25, Chicago, IL, Moe's Tavern
- March 27, Milwaukee, WI, Cactus Club
- March 29, Minneapolis, MN, Nomad World Pub
Follow Trapdoor Social on social media:
Facebook: Trapdoor Social